Get a Job! Go to School!
Using a network of Life Advocates, business partners, and nonprofit partners, UpWorks will guide, support and seek to ultimately place participants in jobs that are sustainable and above the poverty level. The most significant aspect of this arrangement lies in the role of Life Advocates.
How it Works
UpWorks creates a network of Life Advocates, nonprofits, and businesses to support participants gaining and sustaining livable-wage employment.
- UpWorks trains Life Advocates (coaches) in cultural awareness, coaching techniques, and real-time interactions to work with participants
- UpWorks is referred potential participants by established nonprofit partner organizations.
- Selected participants are matched with 1-2 Life Advocates meeting with them1 hour per week for 8 -12 weeks
- Focused on discovering a passion for work and developing goals based on that passion. Participants work with Life Advocates to gain sustainable employment and/or enrollment in the desired school.
Keenly aware of the critical need for improved employment among minority groups, UpWorks will:
- Partner with existing nonprofits within our community to increase employment to those struggling with underemployment and unemployment.
- Engage businesses that are willing to hire people with employment barriers, knowing UpWorks will provide this network of support.
- UpWorks intends to leverage established best practices to positively impact the well-being of people by increasing lifelong earning capacity, fostering emotional health and improving the overall quality of life.
Become a volunteer
- Who are our volunteers?
- Life Advocates are Christian volunteers who provide support through relationships, coaching and calling to action. Life Advocates are not “fixing” problems, they ask open-ended questions, push the participant to discover their own solutions, and support the participants’ next steps in employment and education goals.
- What do our volunteers do?
- Life Advocates (volunteers) are life coaches for adults who have come through the cycles of addiction, incarceration, immigration, or other barriers. Each participant is paired with 2 Life Advocates who meet 1 hour a week for 12 weeks. During this time Life Advocates walk alongside the participant helping them through a process of self-discovery, setting short-term goals around employment and or education.
- Life Advocates love on, care for, listen to, have coffee with, coach, mentor, speak life, encourage, walk alongside, show mercy, are present, empower and build a positive relationship with participants.
- Support UpWorks provides
- UpWorks provides training on how to coach, use UpWorks’ tools, and additional resources to help our participants begin to set goals and move forward. Check the events page for when the next training is set to occur.
- Newer Life Advocates are paired with a more experienced Life Advocates.
- Life Advocate Mentors are assigned as Life Advocates are matched with participants. Life Advocate Mentors are experienced Life Advocates who are available for questions and there to help newer Life Advocates process, find resources, navigate UpWorks tools. They often touch base over the phone.
- Staff is always available for questions and we are adding more to our toolbox for Life Advocates.
- Throughout the year we host Regional Gatherings around the Twin Cities which provide a chance for Life Advocates to meet other Life Advocates, have fellowship, process interactions, learn from others and eat great food.
- Life Advocate Application
- have questions
Become a Participant
Who Can become a Participant?
- Underemployed or Unemployed
- Individuals who sincerely want to improve their current life situation
- Motivated and willing to meet regularly with Life Advocates
- Committed to completing self-improvement tasks, working toward goals, and seeking employment or education.
What will I do as a Participant?
- Work with your Life Advocates to complete Self-Discovery
- Develop goals for employment or education with coaching from Life Advocates
- Actively pursue employment or education opportunities as agreed with Life Advocates